Propylene glycol is commonly used in moisturisers, as it holds moisture in the skin - keeping it soft and young. Great for use in masks, as it prevents over-drying.
Propylene glycol is also a commonly used solvent for active extraction and delivery and is often found in cosmetic active preparations. It can be replaced by its more natural but less powerful cousin Glycerin.
Benefits of Propylene Glycol:
- Effective humectant and wetting agent preventing water loss in products and in the skin
- Increases skin permeability of active ingredients as it penetrates into the outermost skin layers
- Emollient and lubricant properties
- Increases spreading of creams
- Excellent solubiliser of other ingredients
- Fragrance oils
- Massage oils
- Saline solutions
- Hand sanitizers
- 1 - 5%
INCI Name: Propylene Glycol
Appearance: Clear, Oily Liquid
Grade: Pharmaceutical grade