Bentonite clay forms from volcanic ash. It gets its name from Fort Benton in Wyoming, where it occurs in large amounts. Bentonite is a beige/green/grey coloured clay which is a highly absorbent, swelling clay that draws oils and toxins from the skin and also tightens and tones the skin. Great for oily skin and in shaving soaps.
People have used bentonite clay to remove impurities on the skin, such as oils, and toxins from the body for thousands of years. Bentonite clay is present in many skin products.
How to use this item:
1. Use as a face mask
Combine water and essential oils in a bowl and add the bentonite clay to the bentonite clay to the water-oil mixture. Allow it to absorb for a few minutes then add the activated charcoal powder and raw honey to the bowl. Combine all ingredients to form a paste then apply onto the face.
2. Create customisable cosmetic products
See our formulating tips for more information
Benefits of Bentonite Clay:
- Bentonite clay contains natural minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and iron, which may provide benefits to the skin.
- Bentonite hydrates quickly and easily in water and gives structure to the water phase of your creams or liquid products
- and is particularly well suited to pigmented make-up such as BB creams, Liquid Foundation or tinted moisturisers.
Bentonite Clay Uses:
- Body & Facial Exfoliator
- Shaving Creams
- Masks: 10 - 30%
- Facial and Body Mud: 5 - 25%
- Liquid Soaps & Shampoo: 2 - 10%
- Soap Bars: 5 - 20%
- Melt & Pour Soap: 1 teaspoon per 500g of soap base. Mix with water or glycerin then add into the melted soap
INCI Name: Bentonite
Other Name: Montmorillonite Clay
Country of Origin: USA
Appearance: Off white powder/granules
Note: Do not store or mix the clay with metal utensils. Always use plastic, glass, ceramic or wooden utensils and storage containers. Not for internal consumption.
Formulating Tips: Add to the water phase while stirring. Bentonite is heat stable so you can heat the water to decrease hydration time. Continue mixing until a smooth thickened water phase is formed with no lumps. The clay should be hydrated in pure water with no additives. Please be aware that this thickener cannot be used to create clear products.